Year - 2000
Scale - 1:126,720
Topo Lines - No
In 1634, Jean Nicolet, a French explorer, discovered what the Native American tribes already knew to be a beautiful, resource-rich land. Little did Nicolet know that 300 years later a National Forest would be named in his honor. The Nicolet was established in 1933 in northeastern Wisconsin by Presidential proclamation.
Later that same year, the Nicolet evolved into two National Forests. The western portion of the Nicolet was proclaimed as a separate Forest named after the shining, shallow bay in Lake Superior… the Chequamegon. The name Chequamegon originates from the Ojibwe or Chippewa language, which is thought to mean “the place of shallow water.”
Since 1934, the National Forests remained separated. To improve efficiency and effectiveness, the National Forests were combined in 1998 and are now know as the Chequamegon-Nicolet. Together they total about 1.5 million acres.