Year - 2011
Contour Interval @ 100 ft.
What is now the Uwharrie National Forest was first purchased
by the federal government in 1931 during the Great Depression.
The land as known as the Uwharrie Reservation.
In 1961, President John F. Kennedy proclaimed federal lands
in Montgomery, Randolph, and Davidson Counties as the Uwharrie
National Forest, making it one of the youngest and smallest
forest (at 50,189 acres) in the National Forest System.
Though small, size does not hinder the Uwharrie from
providing a wide ranger of natural resources, including
clean rivers and streams, diverse vegetation for scenery,
wildlife habitat, and wood products, a wide variety of
recreational activities, and a natural setting for
tourism and economic development.